: Surgical Technician
King City, CA
Full Service Acute Care Community Hospital
- Assists in surgery in the following capacities: scrub, assisting in transportation of patients and general maintenance and care of the department and equipment. In capacity as a Sterile Processing Technician: will clean, process and store processed supplies and equipment; order supplies as needed.
- Transports patients to surgical unit when requested.
- Checks patient’s name, date of birth, and ID band before transporting.
- Transport patients to the surgical unit safely as requested.
- Uses proper body mechanics when transporting patients to protect patient and self.
- Maintains a sufficient amount of supplies on the surgery unit.
- Checks unit supplies to maintain sufficient supplies on the surgery unit.
- Rotates supplies following department’s established procedure.
- Rotates and checks sterility expiration dates and condition of non-disposal instruments and instrument trays.
- Following departmental schedule, checks inventory and replenishes items as needed.
- Processes supplies by cleaning packaging, sterilizing and storing in accordance with. established departmental procedures
- Cleans, sterilizes and assembles equipment, supplies and instruments.
- Inspects equipment to ensure integrity and safety. Follows through on repairs as needed.
- Keeps accurate records regarding autoclave, sterility date, pressures, and temperatures.
- Other required records are accurate and completed in a timely manner
- Understands safe use of equipment used in Sterile Processing.
- Demonstrates safe use of all equipment used in department; autoclave, cold sterilization, etc.
- Understands all aspects of aseptic technique.
- Demonstrates ability to prepare, assemble and package equipment and supplies using aseptic technique.
- Rotates sterile supplies; removes and treats outdated supplies.
- Stores sterile equipment on assigned shelves as per department policy.
- Understands Infection Control guideline for sterile processing.
- Follows established policies and procedures of Infection Control Committee when handling infectious waste.
- Surveillance reports generated by Infection Control Committee reflect acceptable sterility levels for all equipment/supplies.
- Follows recommended infection control policies and procedures during working hours.
- Records changes in tray content or inventory supplies.
- Notifies appropriate staff of changes in tray content or inventory supplies.
- Updates tray description files; changes file location sheets and control sheets as needed.
- Attends staff meetings and in-service programs.
- Attends all mandatory in-service programs.
- Obtains information from meetings unable to attend
- Assists surgeon as scrub according to prescribed standards.
- Scrubs, gown and gloves in accordance with performance standards.
- Sets up table, instruments and supplies according to type of operation.
- Assists in preparation and draping of patient and operative areas as needed.
- Assists and anticipates needs of surgeon in instruments, sutures, sponges and supplies according to technique, procedure and special requirements.
- Observes patient and is ready for emergencies.
- Maintains correct count of sponges, needles and instruments with circulating nurse and reports correctness and discrepancies as set up in standard policy and procedure.
- Maintains aseptic technique at all times as directed by accepted standards.
- Assists in application of dressing, casts and in moving of patient as needed.
- Decontaminates all equipment, instruments and supplies and cleans room as directed by procedure.
- Assists in housekeeping duties and cleanliness of the department as directed to insure safe patient environment.
- When necessary, cleans rooms, furniture, equipment and suites.
- Maintains traffic control through use of prescribed areas and corridors.
- Assists in maintenance of instruments and supplies by proper cleaning, care, utilization and sterilizations as directed.
- Assists in bacteriological counts as directed to assure safety.
- Maintains awareness of safety hazards and use of equipment to prevent damage or harm to personnel and patients.
- Participates in emergency situations as required.
- On-call for emergencies according to posted call schedule.
- Responds immediately when called upon for emergency services.
- Maintains calm demeanor in emergency situation.
- Gathers, disseminates and communicates pertinent information.
- Completes clinical assignment in a timely fashion including maintenance of equipment and supplies necessary for provision of patient care through next shift.
- Completes non-clinical assignments, tasks and projects within a pre-established agreed upon time frame.
- Prioritizes workload relative to patient care needs.
- Attends staff meetings.
- Obtains information presented in staff meetings when unable to attend.
- Participates in nursing unit goal setting.
- Attends mandatory in-service programs.
- Participates in committee work as requested.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience within the last three (3) years’ operating room scrubbing or equivalent military experience, including a variety of surgical procedures.
- High School Diploma or GED, Required
- Graduate of an approved surgical technology or military equivalent program, Required
- Certified Surgical Tech - Preferred